Name: Marc Clark
Location: Brooklyn. NYC (originally from Prince Georges County, MD)
Personal Style in 3 Words: Innovative, Daring, and Creative
Favorite Designer(s): Raf Simmons, Jeremy Scott, and Marc Jacobs.
Must-Have Accessory: A watch, and a sick pair of shoes!!
How did you get started in the industry?
I’ve worked, lived and breathed fashion for over ten years. I started out in the industry coordinating fashion events, fashion shows, and managed retail stores while I lived in Maryland. I moved to New York over 4 years ago and started interning. I’ve worked with BET, MTV, Vibe Magazine, and Russell Simmons.
Did you always know you wanted to work in fashion?
I’ve always known I wanted to work in fashion since I was younger. I have always had an attraction to beautiful things. Fashion is an outlet for me to express my feelings, thoughts, and creative energy!
Describe a day in your life:
A typical day for me is keeping track of my empire I am in the stages of building. Everything from speaking with magazines/blog sites for interviews, to coordinating stylist pulls for editorial shoots, shipping/packing orders, fabric shopping in the city, and running to photo shoots. This seems like a lot talking about it, but it’s become my reality and I am blessed to be living it!
Rihanna, seen as one of the fashion-forward movers and shakers, has worn one of your bow ties. How did you react?
I was beyond excited. Rihanna is a dynamic individual and a wonderful artist. Having her support my movement, motivated me to continue doing what I’m doing.
Will.I.Am of the Black Eyed Peas has also worn your Uder line. Who’s your favorite client?
Yes, Will.I.Am is currently wearing the UDER FOR MARC C “Caged” Glasses on the Black Eyed Peas “The End” World Tour. I wouldn’t say I have a favorite client. Anyone who supports my vision and buys my products are all equally favored by me.
Most rewarding experience of your career thus far?
The most rewarding experience of my career so far is being a 24-year-old designer, living in New York City and working for myself.
3 Pieces of advice for aspiring designers?
If you are looking to break into the fashion industry, I would advise that you:
1) Look for internships, 2) Study/research your craft and 3) Stay focused. Nothing comes easy.
What’s in your bag (or wallet)?
I will break it down for you… My choice of wallet is LV (wonderful quality of leather products) and you can find bankcards, my ID and business cards. I do carry a bag to photo shoots and events, where you can find my UDER FOR MARC C Glasses, Bow tie brooches, and Fox tails. You never leave home unprepared.
Keep up with this young talent. Follow Marc Clark on Twitter @TheRealMarcC and check out his amazing designs at his website: http://www.MarcClark.com
Last month, I posted about Pour La Victoire’s amazing lineup of shoes for Spring and Fall 2010. What I didn’t tell you about, because it was on the hush-hush until their press release, was Pour La Victoire’s plans to launch a new and exciting line of handbags! As I first walked into their amazing showroom, the bags were on display and I fell in love with every last one…
The handbags are beautifully crafted with studding embellishment and rich distressed leather giving them a sturdy, grungy feel with a hint of sophistication…
The one on the left up above was one of my faves. It’s such a great classic studded bag, perfect for every day…
For more information on Pour La Victoire, check their website – PourLaVictoire.com
1) Harem Pant: The harem pant is major for this season. While the chic and fashion-forward europeans have been sporting this look for years now (I saw them all over Paris and Spain back in ’08), fashionistas in the states are just catching onto this leisurely stylish silhouette. Grab them in basic colors like black, beige and neutral green.
2) Printed Dress: There are so many cool prints in style this season! From polka dots to geo-print to tribal. Big for this season – mixing & matching. Go wild with this one, but not too much…
3) Peep Toe Wedge Bootie: Let’s face it – wedges are the way to go. They’re on trend, they’re comfortable and cute. What more could you possibly want? Get them in a go-with-everything color or be bold and daring with a bright pair. Whatever you do, make sure they’re included in your footwear lineup this season.
4) Neutral Jumpsuit: Romper, Romper, ROMPER! I think I just like saying that word. Anyway, get yourself one. I’m wearing a floral number up top in my blog header. They are a little more casual than dresses but so easy to play with. If I can brave the jumpsuit, so can YOU! Scared? Try one in a neutral color first, then work your way up to prints…
5) Clogs: I thought I’d never say it, and I know there are some of you who will never warm up to this trend, but I must state facts. Clogs are in. There…I said it. The best way to get away with this trend without looking like a Dutch farmgirl? Wear them with a long lean silhouette – no big or frumpy silhouettes. Also, try a stiletto heel instead of a clunky one! The studding give the clog appeal but the stiletto makes it more sophisticated.
6) Pastel Nails: What better way to usher in spring colors than with your fingertips? I don’t know about you guys but pretty nail colors make me happy. When I see them, I smile 🙂
7) Floral Leggings: Getting tired of your old black leggings? You know, the ones you’ve been sporting consistently for the past few seasons. Well, take it a step further in a floral pair! Florals are in for spring (when are they not) and fashionistas all over are sporting this brave new silhouette. Don’t be left behind!
8) Utilitarian Jacket: This season, you’ll be seeing a whole lot of army green, beige and brown. Utilitarianism is huge and so is military. Inevitably, you’ll need a military-inspired jacket in a neutral color. This is about the only minimalist piece I’ll opt for this season. I’m just not very…minimal. And neither are my clothes!
9) Edgy Shades: While everyone else is reaching for the same old Ray-Bans or Marc Jacobs goggles, do something novel and try an edgy pair like the ones pictured above. Way back in LoveBrownSugar’s beginnings, I blogged about chain link shades being the “next big thing” a la Amber Rose. Well, now they are! *takes a bow*
10) Studded Bag: Take the studding trend from fall into spring with a nice bright pouch like this one. Opt for color instead of black and it’s instantly fresh for the new season. I’m in love with the one pictured above.
For those of you who missed my post about Honey’s cover shoot with Janelle Monae, make sure you check out my full-time gig Honey Magazine for the full article. Here’s a behind the scenes peek at the making of the cover:
For more on Behind The Scenes with Janelle Monae, check Honeymag.com.
I’ve got a good one for you guys today! The Knowles sisters were spotted all over this weekend at the Coachella Music Festival in Cali. I caught a glance at these pics over at Fashion Bomb. This actually has me stumped. I can’t decide if I love or hate! So this one’s a double whammy:
Name: Christina Brown
Location: New York
Occupation: Editorial Assistant
Clutch: Describe your style in 5 words.
Christina: Sophisticated, Vintage, Downtown, Romantic, Chic.
Clutch: You’re running late for class/work, what do you throw on?
Christina: Black skinny jeans, fitted camisole, linen blazer, gold bracelets, my leopard Tory Burch flats, vintage chainlink purse, Marc Jacobs shades
Clutch: Which designers do you covet the most?
Christina: Marc Jacobs, Diane Von Furstenberg, Alexander Wang, Phillip Lim, Rachel Roy, Oscar de la Renta, Tracy Reese, and (of late) LaQuan Smith – love his shapes and fabrics.
Clutch: What are your staple items?
Christina: Statement flats, well-fitting day to night blazers, embellished platforms – they’re super comfy, gold jewelry and of course the Little Black Dress (my fave’s from DVF).
Clutch: If we were to take a look inside your clutch what would we find?
Christina: My pink encased Blackberry (never leave home w/o it), Urban Decay eyeshadow, Cover Girl Outlast mascara, hand sanitizer (NYC can be really dirty), my Canon Powershot (for those celeb-studded nights) and Carol’s Daughter mini fragrance in Almond Cookie.
For more information on Christina please visit http://www.LoveBrownSugar.com and follow her @CeceBrown and @LoveBrownSugar.