Tomorrow marks the official end of 2010 and the ushering in of a brand new year! Whether you’ll be celebrating at a big city club or at a low key house party with friends, you want to look glam and ring in the New Year in style. Just in case you need inspiration, I’ve compiled a few chic looks for every type of diva out there…
Vintage Chic: The oldschool-obsessed would be remiss without sporting an NYE fashion staple – the sequined top! Just pair it with a leather mini and show-stopping heels for good measure.
Posh: Kickin’ it uptown for New Year’s? If so, you might want to opt for glitz and glam with a hint of sophistication. Neutral tones and sky high trendy pumps will do the trick. And don’t forget your statement necklace – a must for the posh fashionista.
Downtown: If you’re a no-fuss downtown diva who just likes to look fab with little effort, this look is for you. A simple sparkle top with leather shorts, sheer tights and platform heels makes for a comfy yet uber chic look to ring in the New Year.
- Glam: The last look is for the traditional diva who wants to go all out for NYE. Throw on a bright colored frock (you can also substitute the traditional sequined tube top dress), glitter pumps and diamond accessories. You’ll be brighter than the ball dropping in Times Square.
Enjoy the New Year’s festivities and I’ll see you lovelies in 2011!
So I don’t have anything profound to say in this post. I just figured the title was appropriate given the ridiculous amount of leaves in this photoshoot, and the fact that 2011 is upon us…(sue me for being stereotypical!)
One thing I’d like to do more often in 2011 is recycle fashions. This hobo I’m holding was way in the back of my closet. I hadn’t worn it in years. Then I rediscovered it and fell back in love. So here’s a challenge for you fashionistas out there with a retail addiction similar to mine. Once a week starting in the New Year, reach way back in your closet and pull out just ONE item you haven’t worn in a long time. And find a way to re-work it. You’re guaranteed to stumble on some old gems…
Another thing I’d like to do more often is try out new, quirky trends that I otherwise would SMH at…
Case in point: the “Nerd” trend. I guess, considering I literally wore glasses from 5 years old until my sophomore year in college, I never saw the appeal of this trend. I used to hate my glasses. I even got teased for wearing them in elementary school. Now “four eyes” is a term of endearment? Fashion, I tell ya…
Tip: I picked up these little plastic spectacles at a local Five Below store. Don’t splurge on trends. Go cheap until you’re sure you love it!
And last but not least, I do solemnly swear to try out a few new photoshoot poses. This one’s getting old!
What new leaves are you turning over before the New Year? Soundoff below!
Jacket: Thrifted, Turtleneck: Thrifted, Jeans: H&M, Shoes: Rouge. Jesus Piece: Forever 21. Ring: Pnk Elephant Accessories. Red Glasses: Five Below.
Hey loves! Again I’d like to thank everyone for participating in my month-long giveaway. I hope you guys were able to win big! And just in case you didn’t, I have plenty more giveaways coming your way in 2011. So don’t you worry…
Congratulations to the following folks for winning prizes! Please email email@example.com with your Name, Prize Won, and Mailing Address to claim your gifts.
- Living Fly on a Dime for winning the Carol’s Daughter Naughty & Nice Body Set.
- it’sok2bu*nique* + Love for winning Gossip Girl Season 3 DVD.
Afia + Danah for winning Sex & The City 2 Movie on DVD.
_ambiziosa + thedlife + LoveNWright for winning Covergirl Queen Collection.
My lovely friends over at Masque Magazine
were nice enough to feature yours truly and a few other blogger divas in their recap of Blogger’s New Year’s Resolutions for 2011
. I know I said HERE
that I wouldn’t have any resolutions, but when they obliged, I couldn’t turn them down! Here’s what I had to say…
“To live 2011 for myself and God’s approval, and not for the approval of others. Oh, and to scratch at least 3 things off my bucket list.”
Check out the full article including what the other bloggers had to say over at Masque Magazine…
Merry Christmas everybody!! Thank you all SO much for going along this ride with me. I’m so happy and so blessed to have amazing readers like you who give me daily encouragement, leave me the best comments, and participate in my giveaways! I couldn’t ask for anything more.
To commemorate the lovely holiday season and to end this year’s 1st Annual 25 Days of LoveBrownSugar, I’m giving away tons of goodies. Some of these are items I’ve been holding onto for today and other are extras that desperately need new homes before 2011. All are great, I promise…
So I gave one Gossip Girl Season 3 DVD away on Day 1. Well luckily two more winners will be taking it home. GG fans don’t forget to comment.
Another popular DVD this holiday is definitely the Sex & The City 2 Movie DVD. I’ve got two more of these to give away as well. I can never get too much of Carrie, can you?
For all my brown-skinned divas out there, I have two concealers and one bronzer compact out of the Covergirl Queen Collection to giveaway. Leave a comment for your chance to win.
Special Thanks to everyone who has already signed up for LoveBrownSugar’s Newsletter
– you guys ROCK! If you haven’t, there’s still time. I’ll be dishing out special updates and exclusive giveaways via the LoveBrownSugar Newsletter come 2011, so you won’t want to miss out. Sign up HERE
and good luck to everyone. If you’ve been a faithful commenter and you haven’t won anything yet, I’ll be looking out for you. You’re appreciated.
So the month is definitely winding down and we’re in the last 2 DAYS of 25 Days of LoveBrownSugar
. Wow! I know you guys will be busy spending tomorrow with the family, but be sure to check in at 2PM for a giveaway extravaganza on Christmas Day! I’ll be giving away tons of stuff. As in, all the gifts I have left that need to find new homes before 2011 😉
Anyway, today’s giveaway comes from one of my favorite brands, Carol’s Daughter. She has a slew of amazing gift baskets for the holidays, for those of you out there doing last minute shopping. This one, the Naughty & Nice Body Set
is the perfect gift. At a retail price of $28.50 it includes Ecstasy Body Cleansing Gel, Almond Cookie Shea Soufflé, Sugar-Dipped Vanilla All Over Sheen, Hit-the-Spot Body Massager PLUS, it has NO Parabens, Petroleum, Mineral Oil or artificial color.
So a few weeks ago when I posted about ways to Turn Your Hobbies Into Hustles, I mentioned that I wasn’t making any resolutions for 2011 and that I would explain my reasoning later. Well, here it is. I know this time of year is usually chock full of end-of-year countdowns and calls for action in 2011 and I think that’s perfectly fine. However, this year, I’m challenging myself to stray away from making “resolutions” and instead to set myself up with actionable goals in 2011 that I can truly be held accountable for. At the top of the year, I’m used to setting myself up with a hefty list of resolutions. They normally go a little something like this:
I resolve to drop 20 pounds this year.
I resolve to get straight A’s in all my classes (back when I was in high school/college).
I resolve to be a better person.
And on and on, you get the picture…
The Dictionary.com meaning behind a resolution is – the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc. The main issue with this method of thinking is that you can resolve that you’re going to work towards something in 2011, but without an actionable goal and an action plan, you won’t get very far! Here are three reasons you should set goals instead of resolutions…
1. Goals put those resolutions into action. For example, the definition of a goal is the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end. It’s more definitive than a resolution. Instead of just saying “In 2011, I’m going to lose 20 pounds”, I should set goals for myself. Example: “By February 2011, I want to be down 5 pounds, exercising regularly 3 times a week and eating as least 5 servings of fruits & veggies a day.” Yeah, it’s a lot more to process, but breaking down my overall goal into small actionable steps makes the whole process easier to implement and work towards.
2. Resolutions are a one-time declaration. Goals are an ongoing process. Everyone always raves about New Year’s resolutions, but rarely do you hear people taking about mid-summer resolutions, or just “this current week” resolutions. With goals, you set the expectation that they should be re-evaluated and assessed every once in a while, AND you can set them at any time. Who says January 1st should be the only time you have perspective on things in your life you want to change? Success is an ongoing process that, to me, never ends until you die. There’s always something new to learn or something greater to achieve. So don’t fix yourself so heavily on setting goals ONLY in the beginning of the year. Be flexible!
3. Goals help you track your progress. This time next year, I want to be able to say I’ve accomplished something. With subjective resolutions like “I want to be a better person” or “I want to be organized”, it will be very hard for me to actually measure what I’ve been able to accomplish. The smaller and more specific you make your goals/plans for the year, the easier it will be for you to track how well you’ve done. Try this. If you’ve already got your “resolutions” mapped out for the year, instead of taking them as-is, break each one down into at least three actionable goals and give yourself a deadline for each one. I guarantee by this time next year, you’ll thank me! Enjoy your holiday and many blessings for the New Year.
Any goals for 2011? Share them below! I always enjoy being inspired by you guys.
Today’s 25 Days of LoveBrownSugar
giveaway comes courtesy Slatkin & Co. candles. I’m giving away a lovely holiday scent. For all you peeps out there into home fragrance, or if you have a friends or family member infatuated with candles, this one’s for you. Just sign up for LoveBrownSugar’s Newsletter
+ comment below for your chance to win!
Congratulations to Yemayashimmy who won the Hair Rules giveaway. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your prize.
I’m honored to announce I’ve been featured in this week’s Links a La Mode over at IFB once again! This time for my post on Turning Hobbies into Hustles. Check out all the other lovely blogs featured this week…
Edited by: Holier than Now
With mere days left in 2010, it’s time to make that *other* holiday list and check it twice. Continuing last week’s countdown to a beautiful new year, our favorite bloggers create a veritable “gift list” of tips, suggestions, and inspiration. In those lazy days before work and school start up again, peruse ways to end the holidays on a charitable note, own your own greatness, own less stuff, make more money, and build a better blog. It’s enough to make you put down your hot chocolate and get started on 2011 already!
Links à la Mode: December 23rd
Shopbop Boutiques: Temperley London, Kiki, Dsquared2, LIM, BINNS, Thakoon, Ports 1961, Ellery, Preen, Benz
Today’s 25 Days of LoveBrownSugar
giveaway comes courtesy Hair Rules. This one is for the curly girls! The final step in your care and styling routine, this uniquely non-greasy finishing product keeps textured hair infused with essential moisture to keep curls soft, hydrated and shiny all day long. Just be sure to sign up for LoveBrownSugar’s Newsletter
and Comment Below for your chance to win!
Congratulations to Yumzi who won the surprise giveaway from yesterday. By popular demand via my Twitter folks, I’ve chosen this sparkly Forever 21 ring for you…
Perfect for the holiday season and heart-shaped like LoveBrownSugar! Email me email@example.com to claim your prize.