Archive of ‘Instaweek’ category
It’s the first Monday in October and I’m feeling so motivated and inspired after a great week. First, I’m thoroughly excited to see September go. Although it’s always one for the history books, Septembers can be incredibly stressful with fashion week taking over my life. It’s one week but it takes almost a month to fully recuperate!
Last week I attended a beauty event hosted by a new brand of beauty tools called Instrumental Beauty. They’re an affordable line of tech gadgets desaigned to make your skin look amazing. Think Clarisonic but WAY cheaper and just as effective. I can’t wait to give them a try.
On my way home, I attempted to recreate Lucky Magazine’s EIC Eva Chen’s signature car pose and it literally took me FOREVER to nail it. That said, I’m convinced that people do way too much (myself included) for the sake of social media. No one should have to try that hard, seriously.
If you haven’t already, do check out my very first Reel Style video featuring Rouge NY. I had such a blast with the makeup artists at Rouge NY. I can’t wait to go back for another session.
My good friend (and fellow co-editor of TalkingTexture.com) Ty Alexander of GorgeousInGrey.com is hosting a #31GorgeousLips photo-a-day challenge on Instagram. If you love lipstick, you have to check it out. Featured above is one of my faves – Flat Out Fabulous by MAC Cosmetics.
This weekend I attended the Focus 100 conference powered by Digital Undivided. I was so empowered and inspired by all these people of color in one room, in support of more minorities thriving in the tech industry. It really gave me the motivation I needed to keep doing what I’m doing and to reach even higher than what I “think” I can accomplish.
So there’s this new company called The Bouqs that I think is so genius. It’s a floral concierge service that delivers fresh bouquets to your door and can even have flowers scheduled to be sent to your friends and family automatically on special occasions. They sent me the beautiful bouquet above. Raise your hand if you always forget to send flowers until the last minute. Right. I’m planning to do a full post about it but until then, feel free to check out the website here for more info!
So, have you added some color to your fall wardrobe yet? Bright coats are an easy way to do that. If you haven’t already, check out my Bright Coats for Fall post for easy tips on how to pull off a look like this.
How was your week? What did you do?
Happy Monday folks! I haven’t done one of these Instaweek posts in a very long time but it’s my first NY Fashion Week back on the scene and there’s been a ton of excitement today. Here’s a snapshot of my busy (but exciting) week last week and the first few days of NYFW:
Happy April everyone! The beginning of the month always feels like a fresh new start for me. A chance to take on new challenges and push myself further. We’re now in the second quarter of the year. Is this real? 2013 is breezing by! Here’s some of the fun I got into last week:
I’ve never been a huge art buff, but there are a few historic pieces that I can call my faves. Last week, myself and the LBS resident nail aficianado Gracie were inspired by artist Piet Mondrian. My absolute favorite ring from Yumnah Najah is inspired by his work. Tomorrow’s Style Play Polish will be the Mondrian nails you see on the left above. Looks difficult, but I promise it’s easier than it looks!
Now imagine my delight when 3 days after shooting the tutorial, I went to the MoMA for a date and ran into Piet Mondrian’s pieces up close. Clearly, it was meant to be.
Raving for Rachel Roy
You guys know how obsessed I am with Rachel Roy. This season, Rachel didn’t have a traditional presentation but instead showcased her collection with a digital runway show that broadcast on Facebook during NYFW. So this season, the Rachel Roy team invited me to their showroom for a nice preview of her fall collections and boy was I in heaven. A review of the entire collection – including Rachel Roy, RACHEL Rachel Roy and accessories coming later this week!
Travel & Leisure
I have big travel news coming soon! I can’t go into detail yet, but your girl will be vibing to indie tunes and snapping festival street style this month at the Coachella Music Festival! I’m beyond excited. More deets to come!
The Curl Update
Cece’s Curls are doing well. They were starting to get on my nerves last week, so I had to calm them down with a little TLC. I’ve been experimenting with puffs & twistouts and using different products. I’ve announced the winner of the Karen’s Body Beautiful giveaway so take a look and see if you won! This Friday, stay tuned for a giveaway with new natural haircare brand Anu Essentials.
Have an awesome week!
Happy Monday yall! It’s officially December and I’m excited because A) 2013 is approaching (and I’m SUPER hyped for the new year) and B) it’s time for fun Holiday Gift Guides & giveaways. Whoop whoop! (*does virtual tootsie roll*) So first let me tell you about my exciting past few weeks and then I’ll get into the good stuff you guys can look forward to on the site this month…
My Hair Is Laid
Guess what? It’s been officially 2 YEARS since my big chop! I’m so excited, guys. I’ve had tremendous growth since I decided to debut Cece’s Curls back in November 2010.
Now it’s 2 years later and my hair is the longest it has ever been.
I have an appreciation for the kinks as well as my straight strands. Thanks to YouTube gurus, natural hair blogs, and constant experimentation, I feel like I finally know how to handle my curls all on my own.
I’m doing un-assisted top knots and everything yall. So happy! Going natural was one of the best beauty decisions I’ve ever made. This week I’ll be doing a post on my updated hair regimen (similar to this one I did in May), my favorite products and my go-to hairstyles. Stay tuned!
LoveBrownSugar Nail Lacquer Presale Blowout
So as you guys already know, my LoveBrownSugar nail lacquer for LiSi Cosmetics (Available HERE
) officially went on presale last week! I’m beyond ecstatic – there are a few pictures above in the Instagram collage from my launch event. So far, you guys have been snatching them up! This week I’ll have a few nail tutorial posts up documenting different ways you can style the “LoveBrownSugar” color for your holiday fetes. In the mean time, order your bottle at SHOP LoveBrownSugar – it’s only $4.90
Inspiration Is Everywhere
Over the past few weeks, I’ve been really trying to hone in on what my successes and failures were in 2012 so that I can start planning for 2013. You guys know I’m a huge fan of the Vision Board as a source of inspiration. Last year I did an entire 3-Part series on creating one and I plan on doing a follow-up to that again this year.
What I’m starting to realize though, is that inspiration can come from so many different and unexpected sources. From a beautiful bouquet of roses to a childhood picture. I’m OBSESSED with the new social trend of “Throwback Thursdays” so anytime I go home, I comb through piles of old photos. I stumbled upon the one above. Me at 4 years old giving the sassiest side eye of life. According to my friends, I still give people this exact look. Anyway, I once heard that if you’re trying to figure out what your true passion is, you should look to your past. Look to those days of your innocence as a child with no inhibitions. Even back in the day I was expressing myself in fashion (check my jean jumper and shoelace bow!) and throwing subtle shade.
So ladies & gents, if you’re confused or anxious about where you’re going in life, get inspired by where you’ve been, and where you will eventually be…
So it’s definitely been almost a month since my last Instaweek update. To say it’s been busy is a severe understatement. Crazy month but I’m hoping to get back to my regular ‘gramming this week. Anyhoo, here’s what my crazy life has been like for the past few weeks:
– All Clear: So I did another cleanse/detox (I’m getting good at these things!) last week. This one came courtesy the lovely folks at CLEAR Haircare – it was a 2-day juice cleanse by Pressed Juicery. I’d definitely recommend it. The juices were really tasty and surprisingly I didn’t get very hungry at all.
– Bejeweled: So in September I attended the Lucky FABB conference as a kickoff to NYFW. On top of the fact that I had a blast, they gave us some pretty awesome gifts. I’m currently obsessed with everything from t+j Designs (that Gold Spike bracelet top right was a gift from them, and the jewels top middle are theirs as well) as well as my new Caravelle by Bulova rosegold watch.
– Barack The Vote: I’m sure you guys have been keeping up with all the hooplah regarding the upcoming election. Make sure you’re registered to vote! Can’t stress enough how important that is. Though I’m clearly standing behind our current president, political affiliation doesn’t matter. Just make sure you’re doing your civic duty. Huge shoutout to Modern Day Mogul for sending over one of their Obama bowties. Isn’t it adorbs? Can’t wait to style it!
– Throwback Thursday: I’m officially obsessed with everyone’s kiddie pics and embarrassing photos flooding my Instagram & Twitter timeline on Thursdays. If you haven’t checked out our modern twist on the Throwback Thursday trend, get into it. And send over those kiddie pics! Don’t make me come after you.
I’m in need of some new Instagram peeps! Leave your username below so I can #followback
Follow me on Instagram (@LoveBrownSugar) for the latest & greatest from my smartphone excursions!
New York Fashion Week has finally come to a close and as such, I spent this entire weekend doing absolutely nothing. And it felt great! I went for a hot stone massage, had brunch and slept. Yes, quite the uneventful weekend but here’s a snapshot of all I got into last week:
– Huge shoutout to the folks at Birchbox and the manicurist from Color Club for starting my week off right last Monday. LOVED my manicure and all the special treats I went home with from the Birchbox Sample Stop lounge
– Three shows I adored last week: Rachel Roy (which I gushed about here), Gerlan Jeans (Minnie Mouse theme? I’m all in), and Rachel Zoe (gotta love the Zoe)
– I had the outstanding pleasure of attending the NY screening dinner for Iyanla Vanzant’s new show on OWN called “Fix My Life”. Hostess Demetria Lucas of A Belle In Brooklyn interviewed Iyanla all about the premiere episode featuring Evelyn Lozada and it was a night I will never forget. I even got the opportunity to meet and chat with Iyanla – I LOVE her! If you’ haven’t already, lock the show times into your calendar. Iyanla “Fix My Life” airs on Saturdays at 10/9c.
How was your weekend? Fill me in!
Follow me on Instagram! Username: LoveBrownSugar
Happy New York Fashion Week folks! It’s been a busy week. So much so that I almost forgot today was Monday! Here’s what I’ve been getting into since NYFW started.
– I attented the Lucky FABB conference last Wednesday which was an amazing start to my NYFW. I got to hear from influencers like Rachel Zoe and Lauren Conrad. I also ran into some of my favorite fashion & beauty bloggers. It was a blast!
– Fashion’s Night Out 2012 was a night to remember. Best part? Hearing Solange Knowles DJ live and sipping cocktails at my favorite designer DVF‘s store. Two of my faves under one roof? Priceless.
– My necklace is here! A few weeks ago, I ordered this @LoveBrownSugar necklace from Shame on Jane and it arrived right on time for Fashion Week! I’ve been getting so many compliments. LOVE it!
– Yesterday I co-hosted a NYFW Social Women brunch with Angela Simmons and Yoli of Yoli’s Green Living. Pics from the brunch coming soon! It was a blast.
Make sure you’re following me on Twitter @LoveBrownSugar
and Instagram (username: LoveBrownSugar) for all the up to the minute nonsense I’m involved in this week. @ me so I know it’s real!
Until next week!